Inspired by Grandmothers

Friday, October 24, 2014

Both of my grandmothers crocheted. And both of them spent time teaching me how to do it. Or trying to teach me. I recall being fairly short tempered with my mistakes and shedding tears when I couldn't get it right. Being a lefty can be hard! But I still have such fun, happy memories from both of their homes. 

My Grammy in Blissfield, Michigan did fancy, lace like pieces. One year she gave us Christmas ornaments that were crocheted snowflakes. Basically I kept asking for more every year after that until she got fed up and told me I couldn't have anymore. But I still have a TON! And they are the frosting on my Christmas tree. 

My Gram in Escondido liked to crochet afghans. They are so sweet and old fashioned; I love the ones I still have from her. 
Lately I've taken to crocheting these funny doilies when I watch television. They don't have any pattern, I just make something up as I go along. I don't know what I'll do with them; but making them makes me feel connected to my past and to the thread of womanly arts practiced by the women in my family.


Which, you know, I love me some womanly arts. Let's change that to homemaking arts, mmm-kay?
I'm linking up at The Shabby Nest! and Live Laugh Rowe and My Fabuless Life

One Response to “Inspired by Grandmothers”

  1. I wish your Blissfield graamy had Wifi so I could show her this...you do her proud!

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs